Blog

Keeping Your Pet Safe This Halloween

Halloween and trick-or-treat night will be here before you know it! As is the case with many holidays, Halloween presents a few hazards for our dogs and cats. Read on as your Pleasanton, CA vet tells you about the most common holiday hazards and how to keep your pet safe.

Anxiety and Escape

Many pets become very anxious on trick-or-treat night, thanks to the constant ringing of the doorbell and the arrival of strangers to your home. Escape is also possible, since the front door may be opening frequently—you don’t want to go searching for a lost pet in the dark! If your pet becomes anxious on trick-or-treat night, it’s safest to secure them in another room, where they’ll be away from the action and won’t have any chance of escape.

Costumes

Dressing your pet up in their very own Halloween costume? It’s sure to look adorable, but make sure your pet is comfortable. Many pets are stressed out by clothing that fits too loosely or too tightly. Also, check the costume for any small parts—zippers, buttons, bits of plastic, etc.—that could be chewed off, choked on, or swallowed. Remove them to make your pet’s costume hazard-free.

Chocolate

Chocolate treats are, of course, commonly found in most homes around Halloween. Chocolate of all types contains theobromine and caffeine, chemicals that don’t agree with our pets and can cause serious episodes of poisoning. Even small amounts of chocolate can do serious harm, causing symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and worse! It’s important that you restrict your pet’s access to chocolates at all times.

Candy

Various candies and gums are sweetened with an artificial sugar called xylitol, which is fine for humans but very toxic for pets. Don’t allow your pet anywhere near the treat bowl so that they can’t chow down on candy, gum, chocolate, or anything else that might cause them harm!

Decorations

Common autumnal decorations like gourds, fall corn, and pumpkins aren’t necessarily toxic to pets. However, a pet who eats too much of any foreign substance is likely to get sick! Plus, chunks of these decorations could become lodged in a pet’s throat and cause choking. Keep an eye on your pet to make sure they don’t take a bite of your decorations.

For more information on how to keep your pet safe this Halloween, contact your Pleasanton, CA animal hospital. We’re here for you!

Comments are closed.

Website Designed & Developed by DVMelite | All Rights Reserved | Login

Facebook